Thursday, May 17, 2012

Welcome to Yog On!



Never in a million years did I think I would ever write a blog. Why would I want to spend my free time writing about my random exchange at the dry cleaner, or that annoying person on the T? And who would even want to read such a thing much less? But perhaps my initial thoughts were wrong. Maybe those people who say “never say never” are actually on to something.

Finding a fan base seems to be the easier of the issues to tackle. If all else fails, I know at least my Mom will read the blog, and will print it out and give a copy to my Dad to read while he sits on the couch watching Seinfeld reruns (love you guys!). And while I don’t have any intention of writing about my latest experience at the Pearl Street laundry, I do intend to document my marathon training. Running a marathon is something I have dreamed of doing for as long as I can remember (well maybe not exactly, but more on that later) so it seems like keeping a record of it is a great idea, especially since I have no intention of ever running 26.2 miles again.

This marks my first official blog post, and over the next 6 months I am planning to keep you all up to date on the trials and tribulations of gearing up for my first marathon. I am officially registered for the ING NYC marathon on November 4, 2012. Since I am asking for support from so many of my family members and friends it seems only appropriate to somewhere prove to everyone that I actually am doing this.

As a child I very much preferred reading a book to any sort of physical activity (as anyone who knows me will attest to). Sometime around middle school I decided running was the “in thing” and I wanted to be part of it. I remember being very excited that one day I was able to “run” a mile in 13 minutes.

Once I got to college and my consumption of jungle juice skyrocketed (jungle juice is also known by a variety of names, but in its most basic form is grain alcohol mixed with kool aid and served in a trash can at frat parties, and yes, it is every bit as disgusting as it sounds), I decided perhaps running would be a wise decision. Turns out jungle juice is not exactly ripe with nutritional content. So I registered for my first race – the Blue Cross Broad Street Run, a 10 mile course through Philadelphia – and attempted to ward off the effects of the jungle juice.

Over the years since I’ve run an assortment of races – another go at the Broad Street Run, a half marathon in Boston, a half marathon in Minneapolis, an odd 10k, and maybe a 5k or two. While I enjoyed participating in these races, every race I participated in I deemed my last. For at any time during the race my heart rate could instantaneously spike to 235 – 250 beats per minute, making it challenging to breathe, let alone run. I would get dizzy and feel generally awful. And so while I looked longingly to my marathon running friends, I knew this was just a pipe dream for me. I didn’t want to spend months of my life training, and devote hours to running, only to be disappointed by the results, or worse, unable to finish the race.

I had lived with this problem my whole life and had visited the cardiologist on and off for years, but they could never figure out what was wrong with me so I just carried on. It wasn’t until I got to MIT that everything changed. Every single person that I know hates MIT medical with a passion, but I am eternally grateful to them. After just a single visit they confirmed what I perhaps knew all these years – I am not normal! One look at my EKG and the doctor knew that I had Wolff –Parkinson-White with symptomatic supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). Or in people terms, I had an extra electrical pathway in my heart, which sometimes caused my heart to beat too fast, hence the crazy episodes I had while running.

Long story short, I had surgery in January to fix my heart (all done through veins in my legs so there are no visible scars, and the recovery was quick), and now my heartbeat doesn’t get trapped in the never ending loop that caused my 235+ heart rate. By the time I went for a follow up visit in February the doctor deemed me “normal” and even told me he never wanted to see me again. It was the best news I could hope for!

So with a clean bill of health and no more threat of SVT, I set out to conquer one of my pipe dreams – running a marathon. To test out this “new” heart and ease into my training I signed up for a half-marathon in Boston, the same one I ran years ago, but had to walk because of my SVT. The race is next Sunday so stay tuned for an update!