Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Central Park


Yesterday was my first run in central park. And as I had hoped and anticipated, it was awesome! There were a ton of routes, and all of them are new and novel to me. This is great news since I find running the same path time and time again gets pretty old pretty quickly. There were also lots of other runners in the park, and lots of running groups all around. I am hoping to find a group I might be able to join for a couple of runs this summer. We shall see.

I also got an email yesterday from the marathon requesting that I select my official transportation to the start. Very exciting! It's slowly starting to become real...

I'm hoping that I can remember the excitement I felt yesterday so I can channel it later when the training really starts to pick up. Right now, and for the next couple weeks, all my runs are between 3 and 6 miles, which means they are about an hour or less and require little preparation. Throw on a pair of running shoes and I can be out the door and off. As the runs get progressively longer, lasting over an hour and getting into double digit miles I will need to exercise a little more foresight. I can't leave without some water or gatorade, beans or goo, and I need to make sure I'm well hydrated and getting a good night's sleep (though probably I should do this regardless of the length of the run!). I also need to wake up early for the long runs- its summertime and I don't want to spend my entire day running, much less during the hottest hours of the day.

But as usual, I am getting way ahead of myself. For now I'm going to enjoy the relatively laid back, low key training and continue to be excited about the marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment