Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Loving the gym?


When I was running in Boston I pretty much avoided the gym at all costs. I distinctly remember getting drenched because I had gone running in the rain. I also remember wearing everything I owned in an attempt to stay warm on a day when I ran outdoors in sub-freezing temperatures. Then of course there was the day I did the opposite- wore as little as possible because it was scorching. For whatever reason I don't seem to have the same aversion to the gym while in NYC. This morning I woke up and it was cool and cloudy. Perfect running weather you might argue. Yet I got dressed and happily hit New York Sports Club for a 3 miler on the treadmill.I suspect my new-found love for the gym is due to 2 main things:

  1. A lack of proper running routes near my apartment. In Boston I could be along the Charles river in less than 5 minutes, and even had my choice of a few different entry points. The Charles goes on for miles and miles so you've got lots of options. I've yet to figure out a good way to get to the park or along the river from my place in NY. Seems like it's probably about a mile run there, so at this point when I'm only running 3 miles it seems foolish to expend so much energy getting there. Once my runs start getting longer it's probably worth revisiting.
  2. The TVs. I currently am living without a tv. I don't really spend much time at my apartment and if I'm really craving some tv I can head to my sister's place or watch something on my computer. But still, there's something almost reassuring about being able to go to the gym and watch some early morning CNN and Today (I am obsessed with Matt Lauer).
Despite my gym-going (or perhaps because of it) all is going according to plan. This weekend will mark my longest run since the race - 5.5 miles. Am hoping for some nice outdoor running weather for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment