Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Good intentions


On the schedule for today: 5 miles. The thought of running 5 miles on the treadmill was sufficiently unappealing so I had planned to run outside. When I woke up it was a bit gloomy out. Weather.com told me there was severe risk of flooding until 6:45am. Much like everyone else I know, I tend to take the weathermen's predictions with a grain of salt. My meteorological knowledge (aka looking out my window) suggested it was cloudy, but nothing I couldn't handle. My executive decision: suit up and head out. 


Shortly into my run it started raining.  More of a drizzle, if you will. It was actually quite refreshing. At this point I was still thinking, "What do those weathermen know? Rain like this doesn't cause flooding!"


Lo and behold, today is the day the weathermen were right. About 7 blocks from my apartment it starting pouring. I'm talking torrential downpour. There was standing water in my shoes, my clothes were completely saturated and suctioned to me, and at one point I even lost my contact in my eye because it was raining so heavily. Rain like that usually doesn't last very long and fortunately this ended almost as quickly as it started, but as that point it was a lost cause. I had to cut my run short. There was just no way I could eek out another mile in my current saturated state. Every step I took resulted in water squirting out of my shoe. 


In the end I ran about 4 miles. My shoes are now stuffed with paper towels to dry them out (hopefully it only takes 1 night) and my clothes are draped all over the bathroom, probably leaving a puddle on the floor. I'll run an extra mile tomorrow to make up for the 1 I missed today. And if my shoes don't dry maybe I'll get to try my luck at barefoot running. It is all the rage these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment